22/11/2009

The Fonze


I happened to see Henry Winkler aka The Fonze on Sky News this morning talking about his experiences of dyslexia and his work in British schools helping to promote a new way of educating children with special needs and learning difficulties. I loved what he had to say and found him really upbeat and inspirational.
His message to kids? "When I sign autographs for children I write: 'You have greatness within you.' When I speak to them, I say: 'It's your job to figure out what your gift is-to dig down deep inside yourself, get it, and give it to the world."

I also love the Hollywood film director, David Lynch's work in trying to bring daily meditation sessions into schools - I would love to see a holistic side to education rolled out in all schools. So many children don't fit the box in schools, my son included, and although I am so lucky he has such fantastic support I know we are right at the beginning of his school life and it probably won't always be so easy.

Asked what advice he'd give parents about helping kids with learning difficulties pursue their dreams, Winkler says: "Adults' job on the earth - apart from curing cancer or figuring out the next new bicycle - is to give children a sense of self. Otherwise, that child will never be able to meet their potential." His second piece of advice flows naturally from the first: "It's really, really important," he says, "not to define yourself by the way your child succeeds - or doesn't. If you look closely at them and listen carefully, you'll find there's lots to celebrate about them besides their grades."
(I'll try to remember that next time my son has locked himself in the bathroom to write me one of his regular tantrum letters and still has to shout out from under the door, 'How do you spell hate?'!!!)

2 comments:

  1. Great blog. Good old fonze.
    Interested too to hear about David Lynch - never heard of him, shall definitely look him up. And yes, the words holistic and education so rarely go together but so often should! Hopefully it's more and more in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'How do you spell hate?' - that's a classic!! Sounds like a day in my life - Tee Hee!
    Well done, by the way on your launch party - it looked great :)

    ReplyDelete